Art and Design
Welcome to the Art department at Friends' School Lisburn.
- to promote the idea that the visual environment is for everyone to appreciate, respond to and interact with in a positive way.
- to develop the natural curiosity and enthusiasm of the pupils for new experiences through art and design.
- encourage and nurture the artistic skills and talents of the pupils and to help them realise their potential in the subject.
- successfully participate in public examinations and assist those interested in a career related to the visual arts and industries to achieve their ambitions of entry to tertiary level education.
- support the school ethos in developing well-being, self-respect and confidence and a positive attitude towards others.
The teachers in the department consider displays of students’ work an essential part of creating a visually stimulating learning environment. Good displays are essential to student motivation and are an invaluable teaching aid. At all levels, work is selected and presented creatively by staff, with pupils frequently involved in this process. The teaching and learning environment within the department is ever-changing and provides the opportunity to recognise and acknowledge the talents and creativity of our pupils. Pupils’ work is also displayed throughout the School. Cabinets are used to display three dimensional pieces and each year, with the support of the Principal, the collection of framed artwork displayed throughout the School buildings is extended and enjoyed by pupils and staff.
In May and June, the work of our Year 12, 13 and 14 Art and Design pupils is celebrated in a series of exhibition evenings, to which pupils, staff and parents are invited. These evenings are well-attended and enjoyed by all.