Welcome to the Chemistry department at Friends' School Lisburn.
Chemistry is a core element within the Northern Ireland curriculum, either as an individual subject or as part of a general science course. It is concerned with recognising the many substances that man uses and how new substances can be made from them. Therefore chemistry exerts a great influence on our everyday lives; from the food we eat, the clothes we wear, to the houses we live in.
The staff consists of five full time teachers of chemistry and one Technician. Chemistry is taught by subject specialists. The department is housed in recently refurbished and well equipped laboratories.
Chemistry is taught through a wide range of learning strategies such as ICT and practical activities . It encourages pupils to develop key skills and fosters critical thought through experiments, class discussion and written work.
• To stimulate an interest in and enjoyment of chemistry.
• To provide chemical knowledge and skills.
• To develop knowledge and understanding of patterns and principles and to enable an application of those principles to familiar and unfamiliar situations.
• To develop practical skills, including the use of ICT and the evaluation of experimental results.
• To encourage an appreciation of the part played by chemistry in the social, economic, environmental and technological fields.