Welcome to the Mathematics department at Friends' School Lisburn.
Mathematics affects every aspect of our lives: wages, phone tariffs, computers, journey times etc. In order to function effectively in modern society it is essential is competent and confident with Mathematics.
The vision of the Department is not only to provide pupils with the mathematical skills necessary for modern life but also to instill in them an enthusiasm and enjoyment for mathematics.
- Provide a stimulating, safe and happy environment in which pupils and staff can strive to achieve full academic, personal and professional potential
- Ensure each pupil realises their mathematical potential and to assist each pupil to gain any qualification necessary for their chosen career path
- Identify any pupil who has an aptitude for mathematics and develop, stimulate and encourage them to excel in mathematics;
- Identify any pupil who is experiencing difficulty in mathematics and provide support and guidance to assist them in gaining a useful qualification in mathematics;
- Develop qualities of self-esteem, self-reliance and self-discipline in each pupil;
- Provide professional development and fulfilment for each member of staff in the department.