Welcome to the PE department at Friends' School Lisburn.
In accordance with the NI Curriculum, FSL P.E. aims to develop pupil opportunities to:
• increase their knowledge, understanding and skills through frequent and regular participation in a balanced programme of Athletics, Games (invasion, fielding/striking and net/wall), Gymnastics, Swimming, Dance and Outdoor Education (optional);
• practise, refine and develop skills and specific techniques (eg. using strategies, tactics, choreographic and/or compositional principles) and use these with consistency;
• experience, monitor and understand a range of short-term effects of exercise on the body systems including cardiovascular and musculo-skeletal systems;
• monitor and evaluate their own activity levels over a period of time and plan how they can fulfil the activity recommendations for health;
• develop their knowledge of safe practices and procedures when taking part in sport and physical activity
• develop the skills and capabilities required to analyse and improve their own and others’ work
• develop the skills and capabilities required to work effectively with others in tasks which require co-operation, creativity, problem solving, planning and team work.
Physical Education in Friends’ School Lisburn falls into four areas.
1. Curricular Physical Education
2. Games Lessons
3. Academic/ Examination Physical Education
4. Extra Curricular Activities
1.Curricular P.E. follows the Northern Ireland Curriculum where facilities allow, with all pupils following similar courses. Activities are organised and participated for a period of between 5-8 weeks.
2.Games are held on designated afternoons for a whole year group. During these periods pupils will have a choice of games where they will be given an opportunity to improve their skills in their chosen area.
3.Academic P.E. pupils can decide to take P.E. as an examinable subject in Year 11. GCSE is a two-year course. Many pupils go on to take P.E. as an AS/A2 option.
4.Extra-Curricular Activities is the programme for staff and pupils who voluntarily wish to spend extra time at their chosen activity, outside the confines of the timetabled day. This programme normally runs after the normal school day has finished. Most of the major sports have an annually agreed programme of fixtures against other schools. These are generally played on Saturday mornings throughout the school year.
Pupils can come to school in PE uniform for PE/Games day but wear full school uniform when it is after school practice as they can use the changing room.